School Direct Initial Teacher Training
This is a year-long programme of training to specialise in either 3-7 Years or 5-11 Years.
You will train for part of your time at the University of Leicester under the PGCE programme
and you will be based in schools for 24 weeks.
We will organise your school based experiences and these will cover the primary age range. Prior to starting in September 2018, you will be introduced to the schools and will be able to start to form relationships with key people.
Who is it for?
- Graduates looking for School Direct Primary Initial Teacher Training
- Those who have passed skills tests (not essential at this stage, but helpful)
- Ambitious, hardworking, confident and aspirational people with experience of working with young people and of impact upon their academic and/or personal achievements
- It could be that this is a change of career which links to a life-long ambition to teach
The training starts in September 2018 and ends in July 2019
The base school is Newcroft Primary Academy for all trainees. Other schools within our Trust
are also used for the school based training. You'll be based in one school in the Autumn term, a different school in the Spring term and back to the first school for the Summer term. This gives
you a range of experience and has the advantage of meaning that you don't need to get used to a new school again in the Summer term; you can hit the ground running!
You'll spend 24 weeks in schools.
You will attend the University of Leicester for the 'Taught Strands' of the training for the other weeks of the year.
Applicants should demonstrate the following attributes –
- Well motivated and well organised
- Committed to children’s and young people’s achievements and well-being
- Knowledgeable and realistic about the rewards and pressures of classroom teaching
- A reflective practitioner
- Proactive and open to coaching and mentoring
- Able to take the initiative for their own professional development, be self-critical and open-minded.
- Responsive to advise and guidance from experienced colleagues
- Have spent some time in a primary school.
Newcroft Primary Academy is located in the north of Leicestershire, in the town of Shepshed; a stone’s throw from Loughborough. Newcroft is graded outstanding by Ofsted and continues to demonstrate rapid improvement in the quality of teaching and learning and extremely effective coaching and mentoring of Initial Teacher Training students.
Following many successful years of providing teacher training opportunities with universities in Leicester, Loughborough, Birmingham, Nottingham, Lincoln and Derby, Newcroft Primary Academy is again working exclusively with the University of Leicester to offer exciting opportunities for those looking for routes into teaching. In previous years, trainee teachers have successfully completed PGCE, GTP, Assessment Only and School Direct routes into teaching, with all students successfully gaining full time employment in schools both within the partnership and within the wider area. We are pleased to working in conjunction with the University of Leicester.
Our Trust schools span a wide area of the county. We know that our experienced mentors and our forward-thinking and innovative approaches to teaching and learning across the range of schools will provide trainees with the ideal foundations for a successful career in teaching.
The PGCE with the University of Leicester
As a School Direct Trainee with Newcroft, you'll study the pedagogy of Primary School Teaching and Learning through your school based experiences and the taught elements at the University which will:
- Prepare you to teach across the full range of the Primary Curriculum.
- Introduce you to the wider context of teaching.
- The course will cover issues such as responding to diversity in school and the inclusion of Special Needs Education.
- Equip you with classroom management and planning skills.
- Support you in taking increased responsibility for your own professional development.
- Provide a range of specialist options, available options include Early Years, Social Inclusion, Mathematics and many more.
- Provide a variety of placements in schools of contrasting character and location.
- Enable you to meet the required professional standards for Qualified Teachers Status (QTS).
Further details about the selection process are on the School of Education website www.le.ac.uk/education
Fees and Funding –
School Direct Training Programme trainees pay fees and may be eligible to apply for a bursary/student loan. The size of the bursaries varies according to degree classifications and subject specialisms. Further details can be found at www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding.aspx
We warmly welcome visits prior to application.
Contact – Ali Burton at Newcroft Primary Academy
How to apply for a place
Applications should be made online at http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training
Applications will be considered jointly by the University of Leicester and Newcroft Primary Academy.
Please note that schools listed on the Teaching Agency website are Lead Schools which often represent a number of schools in a cluster, some of which may be in a desired geographical area even if the Lead School is not. Applicants are not necessarily applying for a position with the Lead School itself, but with a school, or schools, represented by the Lead School.
If you have any more questions about School Direct, please see www.education.gov.uk/schooldirect
Comments from Ex-trainee Teachers
2016-2017 Newcroft School Direct Student
“My time at Newcroft could not have been better. From the moment I arrived I was greeted by exceptionally friendly members of staff who could not do more to help and support me and this continued throughout my year. I feel that the school is a brilliant place to complete any form of teacher training or work experience due to the extensive experience of the teachers, the support and encouragement which is given, and because of the excellent resources which the school has to offer”.
Summer Term PGCE Placement Student
“Completing my final placement at Newcroft has been a fantastic experience. All the staff are extremely friendly and have fully supported me throughout the year. This vibrant and exciting school has provided me with great opportunities and I am so glad I was there for my last placement”